Hi everyone.

This is a time of important change for technology and the Wikimedia movement.
We are evolving our platform to better support, grow, and prepare the movement
for the future to realize our strategic goals of Knowledge as a Service and
Knowledge Equity.

Our vision is to host a different type of event in 2018 — to make informed
decisions in the evolution of our platform while building our technical
community engagement and enhancing our product vision. We want to be able to
gather and discuss to determine our future direction and that of our shared
platform; to communicate more broadly our product vision and to build a solid
and stable base for our volunteer developer community. Future years will have
have different focuses and themes.

We also want to learn from our experiences during previous technically oriented
events to improve our focus, enhance outcomes, and to give ourselves the time
and space to have informed, substantive, and timely conversations — this all
starts with the overall theme of the event.

The January 2018 Developer Summit (in Berkeley, California) event had a broad
goal to look at ways that technology can support our strategic direction. A
concrete outcome of those discussions was acknowledging the need to evolve our
core platform for the road ahead. In light of that outcome, we will hold future
events with themes that reflect our evolving priorities and opportunities to
support and enhance the Wikimedia movement with technology. Therefore, our next
technical event will be focused on Platform Evolution.

We will hold a 4 day conference with topics that pertain to the Platform
Evolution goals that we want to achieve in the next 3 to 5 years with a shared
understanding of the product vision around those goals while also enhancing
technical engagement within the Foundation and embracing and empowering our
large community of volunteer developers.

Day 1: Product driven discussions on the how’s and why’s of our shared goals.
Day 2 & 3: A deep dive into specific technical ideas, concerns, and outcomes
around the newly formed Platform Evolution cross-departmental program.
Day 4: An unconference / ‘get stuff done’ format along with sessions on
building and sustaining our developer community.

We are also moving the time of year that we’ll hold this new event. The
previously established timeframe had been in January, typically adjacent to the
annual Foundation All Hands gathering, to allow for co-location of events.
However, feedback from both the DevSummit and All Hands participants indicates
that both events need more time to accomplish their goals. All Hands is a
once-a-year event that many teams use to come together, face to face, for
working meetings; as well as the entire Foundation getting together for
meetings. Going forward, we will decouple the DevSummit from All Hands, to give
both gatherings the time and space that all attendees need to be productive and
successful.

This first of the event series will take place in Q2 of our fiscal year
2018-2019, in October 2018, and will be held in Portland, OR, USA. This timing
was chosen to give us the opportunity to formulate plans, proposals, and
programs in time for the Foundation annual planning cycle which starts in
January 2019.

Since we have a new focus and want to expand upon the successes of the
Developer Summit events from years past — we will now call this gathering of
like-minded technologists the Wikimedia Technical Conference (WM TechCon). Stay
tuned for more information on the formation of the program committee and the
participant’s selection process, as we are making quite a few changes based on
the feedback collected from previous events.

Make sure to follow the event’s mediawiki page
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018> for more
details.

Best wishes,

Victoria Coleman