I’ve been way too slow in updating our wikis to new versions, often because new
versions reveal all the places where my custom extensions are poorly coded (by
me). One thing that has been a total nightmare for me is that our
biology/genetics based wikis are heavily dependent on having pages that have
titles based on PMIDs. For example, in GONUTS (https://gowiki.tamu.edu), we use
pages like this one https://gowiki.tamu.edu/wiki/index.php/PMID:29370269 to
gather information related to a specific paper by combining citations within
the wiki with information pulled in from an external web service.

This weekend I had to bite the bullet and update GONUTS and I went with 1.29.2
from 1.25, and I was shocked to find that links to those pages and creating
pages with those titles was causing bad title exceptions. I traced the problem
to the overlap between PMID: and an interwiki namespace, but deleting the pmid
row from the interwiki table in the database didn’t fix the problem.

I finally resorted to something that I know is a terrible, terrible idea: I
tweaked the code on line 337 of MediaWikiTitleCodec.php to specifically ignore
matches to ‘PMID’. It works, but I’m hoping someone can guide me on how to do
this without messing with the MW core code.

I also noticed something about the updating process. I made a test copy of my
backend database from a SQL dump and ran the web installer pointed at the
1.25-based database. Then I copied LocalSettings.php from the old install and
did testing/debugging. When I was satisfied that things were working, I edited
LocalSettings.php to point the wiki to the production database and ran
maintenance/update.php… and got a fatal error that was addressed in an item I
found online:  https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:U26n1a1pgo0078tt
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:U26n1a1pgo0078tt>

So, it seems that the update from the shell doesn’t behave quite the same as
the update from the web-based system. There might have also been a difference
in PMID strings getting magic links, but I’m not sure if the difference was due
to shell vs web on that one.

Jim Hu