Hi,

There are different ways to implement hierarchies in Cargo - the right
approach depends a lot on the size of the data set, how well-structured it
is, how much it's going to change, etc. What you're doing now sounds like a
reasonable approach, though. Though I don't understand what you mean with
the "place:" namespace - categories are defined with the "Category:"
namespace.

Autocompleting only on values that match with the "Type" value selected in
the form makes sense - and thankfully this can be done with "values
dependent on":

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Page_Forms/Input_types#Dependent_autocompletion

-Yaron