I worked this out a few weeks ago. I found some help in the archives of the
meep-discuss mailing list, but you wanted working code.

;first, you define a function - this is a 3D Gaussian approximation to the
electric field in a single mode fiber

(define (my-amp-func p) (exp (- (/ (+ (sqr (vector3-x p)) (sqr (vector3-y
p))) (sqr w))))); Gaussian approximation to the spatial field in SMF

;next, use the function in your source defination

(set! sources (list
(make source
(src(make gaussian-src (wavelength lam-center) (width lam-width)))
(component Ey)
(center 0 0 (- (- (/ lattice-length 2) pml-thickness .5)))
(size lattice-size lattice-size 0)
(amp-func my-amp-func) ;here is the function defined above
); End Make source
); End list
);End set sources
; Source summary: Gaussian frequency distribution centered on 1550 nm.
; Gaussian approximation to SM mode field.
; Located near PML on negative side of Z axis.

Good luck!

Neal