Hello and thank you for your reply.

I don't think the geometry is the problem.  If I delete the (set! geometry ...
) lines, I still get the error.  Also, if I move the (set! pml-layers ... )
lines to after my source definition, I still get the error.  Your advice that
order matters did make some sense to me, since that's how Meep defines
geometry.  So I tried switching the order my PML is defined in (Z side first,
then X side) and I still get the error when I define my PML being on the High Z
side and the Low X side no matter where or what order it is defined in.

Thank you for your help,
-Adam