Question 1:
Yes, I get the same for the Y axis. The pictures are flipped vertically
compared to the ones shown in the tutorials. I guess the way h5topng
works has changed since the tutorial was written.

If you want to flip the images via scripts, you can use imagemagick:
convert in.png -flip out.png

Question 2:
cf the "Guile and Scheme links" page from the wiki:
http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Guile_and_Scheme_links.html#How_to_write_a_loop_in_Scheme

I'm attaching an example script with loops as well.