Hi All,

I am simulating a large device using MEEP 1.1.1 with OpenMPI and parallel
hdf5 support on the Amazon cloud (7 nodes, 1708 GB RAM, 28 cores used
[using more cores appears to decrease performance]). My computational cell
is 161x411x15.05 (a=1um). The device consists of 150,000+ cylinders with
radii ranging from .145 um to .33 um. I have run the simulation
successfully at resolution 5. At resolution 14, all is well until sub-pixel
averaging finishes. below is the relevant part of the error message.

> subpixel-averaging is 78.5038% done, 1.09568 s remaining
> subpixel-averaging is 85.7806% done, 0.663234 s remaining
> subpixel-averaging is 93.2841% done, 0.288219 s remaining
> time for set_epsilon = 311.675 s
> -----------
> meep: Source width > cell width in x direction!
> MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 0 in communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
> with errorcode 1.
>
> NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
> You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
> exactly when Open MPI kills them.

I have no idea why I get the " meep: Source width > cell width in x
direction!" error only high resolution. I have checked in interactive mode
that the source width is in fact less than the cell width (source is 150 um
in x direction). I am using an amplitude function to define a gaussian
source with correct phase fronts perpendicular to the propagation
direction.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Let me know what other information
would be helpful. Thanks!

Alex Ball