Here is more information about the problem:

The error is generated by fields::add_volume_source with the lines

321  double w = user_volume.boundary_location(High, d)
> 322      - user_volume.boundary_location(Low, d);
> 323  if (where.in_direction(d) > w + gv.inva)
> 324  abort("Source width > cell width in %s direction!\n",
> direction_name(d));

I was able to output user_volume.boundary_location using the meep SWIG
wrappers. at resolutions for which the simulation worked, these are as
expected: (xmin, ymin) = (-80.5, -205.5), (xmax, ymax) = (80.5, 205.5). At
resolution 14, though these were (-80.5, -205.5) and (-9.79, 85.6). Thus it
looks like the user_volume is being truncated at some point. Is there a way
to fix this?

Also, it might be worth mentioning that removing symmetry generates the
error

Cannot split -1558399420 grid points into 16 parts

Which I guess has to do with using ints instead of longs (
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.science.electromagnetism.meep.general/3862
)

Just wanted to add some detail in case others end up with a similar problem.

Alex Ball