Dear MEEP-users,

for several weeks now we are trying to implement a near- to farfield transformation in MEEP, which will hopefully be a available for everyone soon. We changed the MEEP- source code to give the abillity to output the DFTs on a closed rectangular surface without averaging any fields and additionally output the positions of the measurement points. This step works fine, the DFT-fields are in agreement with simulations done
in Lumerical.
In the second step, a python script was developed which does the NTFF as discribed in Taflove's book (3rd edition, 2005) plus geometric averaging of the magnetic fields. To test the procedure, a dipole antenna was simulated using a chain of gaussian sources
of differing amplitudes, which produces very accurate nearfields.

The problem is now, that the NTFF only gives accurate results if the monitors are extremely close to the scatterer (antenna in this case). If the monitors are even a few Yee-cells away, the results turn out to be completely wrong! But this behavior has to be a bug, since there is no strong dependency of the monitor positions (except from numerical dispersion, which does not explain the dramatical deviation
and which is even corrected to first order in our code).

Every part of the code is checked hundreds of times and we cannot find any mistake. Because of that, the question arose if the equations that we use, which are from Taflove, have to be changed because of the dimensionless units. Or if anyone has any idea/experience were the mistake could lie. In fact, it turned out that the impedance of free space, which is part of the equations, has to be used with its normal value of about 120pi, even though it is defined as sqrt(mu0/epsilon0), which
should be 1 in MEEP-units. Any help is strongly appreciated!

Best regards,
Carlo Barth