Dear Farhad,
I must admit that maybe I do not fully understand your question, but anything
is predicted by Maxwell equations should be possible in MEEP. In many cases my
computations required MEEP to take into account the non-radiative electric or
magnetic fields (such as when building a split-ring resonator in metamaterial,
sharp tips, surface plasmons, surface optical phonons etc.) and the results
were compatible with experimental or previously published values.
So you may build as narrow cavities/gaps as the FDTD grid allows you and
everything should be realistic. With proper subgridding, you may even define
slits much narrower than is the grid unit.
F. D.