Hello everyone,

We have been running meep on Mac OSX for a while in our group and had to
move to the latest version of Mac OSX 10.9 lately.  Unfortunately we have
not been able to compile meep on OSX Mavericks so far. After having
basically tried for a week to match different compiler & library versions, I
feel that this is probably not an easy-to-solve problem. Our „last-working
setup“ before Mavericks was on OSX 10.8 with meep-1.2, macports-2.1.2,
lapack-3.4.2, harminv-1.3.1, libctl-3.2.1; compilers: gcc-mp-4.6,
gfortran-mp-4.6. Unfortunately I cannot say which versions of the port
installed packages were used during that install.

What I tried now was exactly this setup on OSX Mavericks based on
macports-2.2.1, also I tried to use a current compiler (version 4.8) and the
updated package lapack-3.5.0. To exclude any interference with differently
installed compilers I have taken great care to install it all into a
sandbox, including a separate installation of macports and the respective
compiler and I am confident, that everything should be compiled with the
same compiler versions. Please find attached my installation shell script
(in this case using compiler versions 4.6) for reference. Naturally I get
different errors at different points along the road, depending on the
specific combination of libraries&compilers employed.

Before I start posting specific error messages maybe one question first: Has
anyone already had experience with installing meep on a clean Mac OSX
Mavericks system so far? If so, which version of the required libraries &
compiler version did you use? Any „special tricks“ (or stupid mistakes for
that matter…) which I am not aware of?

Sincerely appreciating any help,

Patrick Klenk

Dr. Patrick Klenk