Dear Simon,
I think your conjectures are all correct. The pseudo-gaussian spectral
profile (I guess the spectrum is more precisely ~ f*exp[-(f-fcen)**2 /
fwidth**2] or something like that) requires a gaussian time evolution
of the source. The cutoff defines sharp edges in time when the source
starts and ends so a simple rectangular time window is thus used.
Thanks to the fast convergence of the gaussian function, the default
10/fwidth timespan is usually sufficient to suppress the spectral
leakage into high frequencies.

At http://fzu.cz/~dominecf/misc/meep/#bandsource I present a patch to
meep (sources.cpp) that uses a band-source with lower spectral leakage
and well-defined spectrum of frequencies. It however requires the
source to be turned on for a longer time.

Hope this helps.
Filip