Hi Folks,
Need a little help here.
I have a 32--bit machine with Windows XP that I would like to install MEEP
on. The Cygwin installation seems to have gone ok; there were no error
messages. I installed every package in Devel. Then I attempted to install
HDF5, and it gives me a compiler error.

I found the very helpful instructions here:
Meep MPB, Harminv on
Cygwin<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.science.electromagnetism.meep.general/3428>

As I said, Cygwin installation went smoothly, I downloaded from
cygwin.mirrors.hoobly.com. I set the environmental variables as in step 1,
and moved on to step 2, installing H5utils, and got as far as:

2.5 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local

checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: in
`/home/Lizz/h5utils-1.12.1':
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

Here's the config.log output:

configure:2769: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2791: gcc  -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c  >&5
configure:2795: $? = 0
configure:2833: result: a.exe
configure:2852: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:2862: ./a.exe
./configure: line 2864: ./a.exe: No such file or directory
configure:2866: $? = 127
configure:2873: error: in `/home/Lizz/h5utils-1.12.1':
configure:2877: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.

That was not what I had hoped for. I decided to skip ahead and try
installing HDF5. The same error occured, with the same error message.
With two messages about the compiler, I tried reinstalling GCC according to
these instructions:
How to install a new version of
GCC<http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_install_a_newer_version_of_GCC>

Prerequisites and environment variables were all set already, I followed
the instructions at the bottom of the page starting with installing GMP. I
got to the ./configure step, and it hangs, with the following message:

checking build system type...

And then I usually have to do a hard restart to get the job to stop.

I'm at a loss here. What else can I try?

Thanks, everyone.