Dear Isaac,
I seem not to fully understand what you are planning to do. But if I
can guess what the question was, the answer is that I personally did
not encounter any example of a waveguide coupler.

If the wave shall be coupled between two planar PhC slab waveguides,
then it seems as a rather simple task.
If there is coupling of freely propagating wave to any waveguide, the
task becomes a bit more complicated and a sketch of your geometry
would be needed.

Best regards,
Filip Dominec