Dear Meep users:

Below are the installation instructions for the serial version of Python Meep on Ubuntu 16.04. This is based on Python3 with the NumPy and h5py dependency libraries. The Scheme/libctl interface is also installed. Note that Guile, HDF5, and FFTW are installed as pre-compiled binaries which reduces the total installation time considerably compared to having to manually build these packages from source.

Instructions for the parallel (i.e., MPI) version will be made available soon. In the meantime, we recommend trying out the Python tutorials <http://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Python_Tutorials/Basics/> to develop a sense for the new interface. We welcome your comments and feedback; please create an issue on GitHub <https://github.com/stevengj/meep/issues> for discussions.

These instructions are also available as a bash script <http://ab-initio.mit.edu/%7Eoskooi/meep_discuss/build_meep_python.sh>.

Cordially,

Ardavan Oskooi