Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate a microstrip transmission line with some nonstandard design. The microstrip is 1mm in length but it's finest details are 1 micron, so I have choosen my length scale to be 1 micrometer and set resolution one. Experimentally, it's cutoff frequency is found roughly around 20Ghz i.e. 15mm wavelength. The image can be found on this link:- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8trFyXIVOiaNXlUTV9rdzNSNnc

I have two questions regarding the simulation:

Q1) For the simulation in 1 micron length scale, my PML's or absorbers get really large as wavelength is 15000 micron. This makes the simulation computationally expensive. Is there any way to tackle this problem?

Q2) This is regarding the type of source I should use to excite the microstrip. For now I am using a plane source kept as edge touching the ground and strip. The width of source is equal to width of top metal strip and height is equal to thickness of dielectric substrate. I guess this does not couple to the microstrip efficiently. What type of sources are good for this simulation?

Thanking You,
Jitendra