If you are interested in studying the types of PT structures which possess
patterned no-loss --- loss regions, which are typically what is studied
experimentally, using a conductivity to introduce your (spatially
inhomogeneous) loss is a good way to go. However, if you really do want to
use gain in your system, the only way to do this is using saturable gain,
https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Materials/#saturable-gain-and-absorption,
which corresponds to a slightly more complicated model for the gain than
what is typically considered in the PT literature, as it includes
non-linear saturation of the gain medium. You might be wondering why you
can't just add "eps - 1i*gain" type of linear dielectric to your system in
Meep, but the reason is that such a term will always lead to diverging
fields in a time-domain simulation, the non-linear saturation present in
the saturable gain model prohibits this, and also corresponds to what
happens in physical systems. If you use saturable gain, you can alternate
with regions of saturable loss to maintain PT of your passive structure.