You could try using a coordinate transformation to simulate a non-uniform
resolution, to increase resolution in your metal layer:

https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/FAQ/#does-meep-support-grids-with-non-uniform-discretization

<https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/FAQ/#does-meep-support-grids-with-non-uniform-discretization>

Plasmonic effects are pretty challenging for FDTD because of the resolution
requirements, in general — I often switch to finite-element or boundary-element
methods in that case.