I'm curious if others have tuned the client timeout settings and have any
recommendations.

We make pretty heavy use of Memcached in a web app and for some class of
data we have a poor-man's HA setup where we have two pools of client
connections (write to both, read from first that doesn't error).  Each pool
has *only one* Memcached server.

If a server is down the failed connection is very fast and the "fail over"
works with little added latency.

But we had a switch fail in front of one of the Memcached servers and for
some reason the result was timeouts instead of a fast failed connection.

We use libmemcached and have the MEMCACHED_BEHAVIOR_POLL_TIMEOUT set to 4
seconds.  The web code didn't have a circuit breaker so you can imagine how
well that went.

Short of the whacky setup, just wondering what client timeout are commonly
used.

--
Bill Moseley
mose...@hank.org