From: Stephen Johnston [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:26 PM
To: Matthew Drayer
Cc: memcached@lists.danga.com
Subject: Re: Multi-instance on Win2K3?

I think that CPU is rarely why people do this. From what I've seen and
read there are a few common cases:

1. You have 384mb on one machine and 128mb on another available. You
make 4 instances so their eviction pattern is similar and the client can
treat them as identical, and your expected behavior for them will be
similar, and write across them equally without a 384mb <-> 128mb pair of
server causing wierd imbalances. The clients that I have seen don't take
cache size into account when considering which instance to use.

2. You have a situation where you store items with no delete time (they
live for ever), but you have limited memory. your no delete time items
are expensive to recreate. You also have alot of less expensive items to
recreate that may lead to your expensive ones being evicted. You use one
instance sized for the items that live forever and another for the
ongoing "evictable" items.

I'm sure others have some use cases, but those are the two I've seen
mentioned commonly.

-Stephen

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Matthew Drayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>