From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of R A Bennell
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 6:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [MBZ] Convince Me

I have always wanted one of these old diesel beasts but have always been a
bit leary of the cost of repairs.
That is especially true since I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and there
are not all that many of these things around here anymore.There never were a
lot of them here and that means junkyard parts are going to be rare. I would
likely have to import new or used parts from the USA.

So, the real question is, whether these old beasties are really worth the
time and trouble. They were considered economical in the years when gas
guzzling V8's roamed the lands. A reasonably sized car with good mileage and
cheap fuel was a good idea. Today, the cost of fuel is often close to that
of gasoline or even higher. The fuel mileage is not nearly so good when
compared to modern fuel injected V6's (as opposed to V8's) etc.

Similarly, longevity was a plus if one cared for the car. Mercedes quality
and diesel meant that it might never wear out if one kept it up and changed
the oil regularly. Today, most of the Toyotas and Hondas have comparable
quality and longevity.

So, does it still make sense to want one of these things? Or does one have
to throw sense out the window and be an eccentric in order to do this?

I have a line on a 300D. I think a 1974? Burgundy with a cream colored
interior. A sunroof. Car looks good but I did not really get a chance to
look under it etc. A second owner vehicle so I am told. A doctor owned it
first and since then an older fellow who has now decided to sell it. He
wants $7K Canadian so not cheap but then not much is anymore.

Randy