>From what I have seen, the $7k figure is typical silliness for the Winnipeg
area. That car is not worth that, I don't care if a relative of the royal
family detailed it with her silk scarf.

All european cars seem to sell in Manitoba for about 2-4x their value in
central Canada, probably 1.5-2x the value in British Columbia (where vehicle
condition is usually good to excellent). Waaaay over anything in the U.S.
marketplace.

So step #1 is to forget your local market. Actually I would say that for
anywhere in Canada.

Time to hit eVilBay. You should be able to find a very nice diesel or
turbodiesel Mercedes for under $3.5k on eBay. Notice I said *very* nice.
That is a matter of preference. Lots of people pay top money on eBay for
average cars made to look above-average by clever detailing or a few
cosmetic fixes (techniques for this abound in the used car trade).

Personally, I feel the (usually) enormous spread from very nice down to
slightly below average (which is where I do my shopping, generally)
justifies staying cheap. If you are patient, very patient, you will get a
perfectly servicable w123 or w126 for around $1500-1800, maybe a bit less.
It will have issues, but they should be issues you can deal with without
yards of sheet metal and a welding torch.

But you have to be on eBay like a hawk. Every day. Watch for the bad
listings, iffy photos, even listings with misspellings or bad
categorization. Those are opportunities. You might be surprised the mistakes
people make. Ask the vendors questions. If you don't like how people answer,
do not deal with them, no matter how good the deal seems to be. (This is
especially important if the seller is new on eBay and has no real feedback
rating.)

And, your greatest potential benefit is actually your location. Generally I
find that high-end imports located in the U.S. midwest fetch much less on
eBay than cars on either coast. In terms of transport, you are laughing
there.

Prices have gone up on eBay a LOT in the last 12 or 18 months, but stuff is
still out there. Ask questions. As us questions.

It can be done.

Mac
Aylmer, Quebec
'60 Mercedes 220s / '85 Mercedes 300sd