andrew strasfogel wrote:

> There are several brands of AC compressors, generally in the $200 -
> $300 range.  Are there any brands that should be AVOIDED due to a high
> failure rate?  We will probably convert to R134 at the same time.  Any
> words of wisdom on this course of action be greatly appreciated.

New compressors are better than any brand of rebuilds.
R134a may be a problem. PAG oil cannot be used in a system which
previously contained chlorinated refrigerant (AKA R12), and is
incredibly hydroscopic. POE oil is not a very good lube, especially
for a compressor designed for mineral oil, and is merely highly
hydroscopic, not quite as bad as PAG in the water absorption
department, but still pretty bad compared to mineral oil.

Most substitutes for R12, including R134a, must be used with barrier
hoses or the system will slowly leak, right through the sides of the
hoses. I'm not seeing anything better than restoring the system to
functioning condition and filling up with hydrocarbons and mineral
oil (envirosafe, duracool, etc).