Peter Arnold wrote:
Wise Klatta Group;

SHMBO will not be pleased!

What does one do when confronted with an injection pump, which has
been deemed "BROKEN" by a rather impeccable source?

Do you buy them rebuilt?  Where? {Hello Rusty?}

Rebuilt carburetor for my '46 Ford was $7, this will be more?  How
much?

How many hours will I be paying to R&R this thing?  I think it is
beyond me; I hate working on this car with POS manual on CD.

Any knowledge of "Indy's" in Connecticut that work on these?

Any Bosch repair station (that works on BIG trucks - Freight-Liner and the like) can repair you injection pump (but may not want to). The cost will be somewhere between $300-$600 of a general calibration plus the cost of any parts and additional labor for the cost to replace any parts. $600-$1800 would be the average cost of a calibration/rebuild. To purchase a pump already rebuild would almost surely cost more as they must assume that EVERYTHING in yours would need to be replaced.

Used injection pumps in pretty good condition usually cost $200-$400. They can be a very good buy as injection pumps almost never wear out or break sooner then engines wear out (and MOST Mercedes diesel engines don't wear out - they break).

HAVE YOU TURNED THE ADJUSTMENT SCREW AT LEAST SEVERAL TURNS (keep track of how far so you can set it back to where it was) IN EACH DIRECTION YET? Don't start shopping for a pump until you do!

I THINK that turning the screw clockwise (looking at it from the driver's seat) increases idle speed, but it's been several years since I adjusted one!

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm