Joe Knight wrote:
The odometer is purely mechanical in your car, Dan.  No electrics
involved, except for lighting.  That's not to say it mightn't have
malfunctioned at some point.  Without very complete service records
and a pretty good knowledge of the vehicle's history I don't know how
you'd go about ascertaining that.

joe

What Joe said AND: The odometer can be fail so it doesn't register - perhaps for years and then be repaired (often a simple repair) and pick up right where it stopped (years or days or weeks ago). That's why a CarFax check CAN provide a clue as to use - that should match the pattern of use the seller describes. Of course the previous owner might well have slipped in a replacement speedometer. I've done that on several cars - not to distort mileage but because it was less expensive then repairing the original speedometer.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm