Thanks for the response Peter. I have the hand held vacuum pump doodad,
purchased years ago for another reason and never used. The car is a 115.

Randy in Winnipeg

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Peter Frederick
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:37 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Vacuum Testing on 76 300D

Randy:

You really must have a tool called a "MitiVac" in the US (and I assume
Canada, but who knows!), probably available in the auto section at
Canadian Tire, else at a decent auto parts store, or via the 'net.
This is a hand pump that allows you to supply controlled vacuum on
demand, and has a handy gauge to detect leaks by watching for bleed-off.

Lacking that, the best you can do is to check the condition of all the
small rubber connectors on the hard plastic lines, also the condition
of the plastic lines themselves.  The rubber gets rock hard or soft and
smeary, and leaks in either case.  Similar sized standard vac line
works fine for replacement except for special T or Y fittings, in which
case the dealer is the best source.  Note that there are often
"splices" made of plastic -- these are control orifices and must be
re-installed.  Do not clean them with a drill, you can cause troubles
that way.

Trunk lock and gas filler are indeed part of the vacuum lock system,
and likely you have a bad actuator for the trunk lock if it doesn't
work at all.

The vac tanks are in the rear bumper and behind the front left tire
under the fender behind a splash sheild.  The tank behind the spare
tire is the fuel overflow catch tank, I believe.

The tranny control (assuming this is a W123 and NOT a W115) is white
plastic line, the heat/AC system is green, and the door locks are
yellow plastic lines in the engine compartment.  Brown line is the
supply for the vacuum shutoff on the IP, brown with blue stripe is the
actuator line for the cutoff.

More advice when you get farther.

Peter