From: Steve MacSween <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] No Start Question My poor 240
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:19:12 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does he need to know anything special, or is (as he puts it)
> "an engine is an engine." I know he has questions about the IP timing, etc.

Hey, just in case my earlier response sounded a bit harsh toward your bro: I
had a w116 SD with an engine rebuilt by a guy who also thought the same way
(manuals, we don't need no stinkin'  manuals!). He owned a highway tractor
repair shop.

Well, I would hate to see what happens to the tractors he rebuilds, as not
only did he install a McParts timing chain (snapped about 120k miles later,
destroying the head), but he managed to install the lower pulley backwards.
Oh, and one of his guys, fully Bosch cert., rebuilt the injection pump and
it never behaved properly either.

So while I DO applaud your bro for his enthusiasm, and I mean that (some
wrenches look at a Mercedes like it's Dracula's coffin), he needs to at
minimum read the manual, and preferably also spend some quality time buying
an experienced Benz mechanic multiple rounds at decent watering hole ;-).

Otherwise, just buy a used engine and be done with it. It will certainly
cost the same or less than the rebuild, once you add up all the this and
that (and there can be a LOT of this and that, once you get into it). You
and he CAN do it, Stu Ritter walked a guy through doing one years ago on the
'original' Mercedes list, but it's not for the feint of heart.

Mac