Here's the "skinny" on importing cars from Canada. I have had new cars
imported, but it depends on cooperation from the US side of the
manufacturers operations. Many new cars are identical to US modesl, but in
the interest of the US dealers, the manufacturer won't give a letter of
compliance to the consumer. In my experience, once a vehicle is six months
old (registered for six months) it is no longer new, and the manufacturer is
more helpful.
 There are some models which are extremely difficult (read $$$) to import
due to such things, as previously mentioned, as restraints. The speedometer
changover is not required, as the CDN models have the mph equivalants where
the KPH readings ar on US models.
 A common manufacturer letter would state basically, this vehicle,
identified by the VIN, meets all US safety (with the exception of markings)
and emission standards in effect for the year of manufacture. When a person
presents this letter, we verify the VIN, charge duty, if required, and issue
a CBP Form 7501 which is presented at the person's state vehicle licensing
office as proof of legal entry into the US.
 In cases where the vehicle does not meet standards, the vehicle will be
imported "formally" through a broker, and when proof of compliance is
provided by a RI, the bond is cancelled, and the vehicle released with the
7501.
 Ideally, you'd want a vehicle which meets the standards without
modifications. All 88-95 Mercedes fall into this category, and as an added
bonus, they are marked as compliant, so no manufacturer compliance letter is
required. On the down side, these are mostly gasoline models.
 I have a list of manufacturer contact tel#'s as well as fax #'s. I would be
glad to assist anyone in the customs relm, please contact me offlist.
 --
Rory Morrison
Oroville, WA