dave walton wrote:
I'm in the process of reassembling the engine of my S350 after replacing the #1 connecting rod. The manual states a torque of 90Nm for the connecting rod bolts. I am finding that they peak at about 70-73Nm for a full turn. It just does not feel right that I should take them all the way to 90Nm. My instinct says to leave them alone after 1/2 - 3/4 turn at a steady 70Nm. Should I be measuring bolt stretch instead? I don't see anything in the manual about that, however...

Any thoughts appreciated.

-Dave Walton

You seem to have misread or misinterpreted the specifications. The first stage tightening is 40 Nm for a used conrod and 45 Nm for a new one. Then the bolt is turned precisely 90 deg. further.

I've attached the appropriate pages from the manual.

PLEASE check the bolt dimensions if you've turned them more than 90 deg. - they may be stretched.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm