as i have said many times before, in ten years, old benz owners will be looked at the same way we looked at jaguar owners.

At 11:58 AM 9/5/2005, you wrote:
I'd love to hear more details about the Mercedes rebuild procedures. It's the least they could do after dumping these piece of shit engines on us. I've lost count of the number of people I've talked out of buying a mercedes. A friend just bought a maybach despite my warnings. It's spent more time in the shop than in his driveway.
No wonder their brand in on the decline in the US.

I would not say replacing all the rods is "cheap". Dealer price on a set with upper and lower bearings is > $1400.

Thanks

-Dave Walton

On 9/5/05, Rick Knoble <<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: If it's apart, I would change ALL the rods. I wouldn't call it "cheap insurance" , but it is insurance. The rest of the rods will bend eventually. I would also upgrade anything the factory changed on their replacement engines. I don't know what changes were made, but it is likely someone here does.
Just my 02ยข
Rick Knoble
1985 300 CD
----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>dave walton
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 5:34 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Tightening Connecting Rod bolts.

Yes, it's apart. I love the car, but hate the engine.
I originally removed the head because of wicked oil burning that turned out to be caused by a blown head gasket. The #1 cylinder was not coming up as much as the others, so I pulled the engine. The #1 connecting rod is bent, but the cylinders are not ovaled much. All are within .006" of round. The #1 cylinder is indeed the most ovaled, but the original honing marks are still visible all around the cylinder wall, so I'm going to live with it and hope for the best.

I just got a digital caliper and remeasured everything. The #1 rod is 0.36mm shorter than the new one. It is also slightly bent to the side and ever so slightly twisted. The opening for the bottom bearing has enlarged 0.07mm horizontally and 0.02mm vertically.

-Dave Walton