Peter Frederick wrote:
> L-Jet?
>
> in 75 I'd have though it was D-Jet, same as the 73 Fastback my sister
> had.  She sold it because the fuel injectors and lines kept leaking,
> was afraid it would catch fire.  I've seen far too many VW's burning on
> the side of the road, probably a good idea!

Nope, L-Jet.  1975 was the first year for fuel injection on the Bus,
too.  VW stuck with similar systems all the way through the end of the
Vanagon production run -- aircooled and watercooled gas Vanagons got
Digifant or Digijet, which used many of the same components but had more
sophisticated ECUs.  They held onto what I think is the worst part of
the system, the mechanical mass airflow sensor.

Volvo used LH-Jetronic for years on the Volvo 240.  It was a similar
system to L-Jet, but used a hotwire airflow sensor instead of the
mechanical flap.  Turbocharged 240s got CIS instead, for some reason.