no doubt there are cars that need it.  The 103 really does need it.
116/117 does not.  I imagine the reason they said to use it was for some
sort of emissions thing or something.

Curt Raymond wrote:
> Knock isn't the problem anyway is it? Don't you run premium to prevent
> preignition (ping)?
> I was talking to a guy last week who drove some kind of tweaked out BMW that
> required premium. He was telling me that once he'd put in mid by mistake and
> got exactly 1 mile down the road before it started pinging like crazy at
> greater than 2000 rpm. He slowly limped it to an autoparts store and fed it a
> couple bottles of octane boost. He bought more bottles and took off. He said
> it took like 4 bottles of whatever kind of booster he'd bought until the
> thing started acting normalish but it wasn't completely right until he ran a
> couple tanks of premium through.
>
> -Curt
>
> Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:26:53 -0700
> From: Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [MBZ] Wife's Bud's '85 380SL For Sale...Still
> To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
>
>> The 380 was anemic - you need the 560.
>
> Mine's not all that bad.  But it's no 560, either.
>
> Our 560's all claim to need premium, but I've never tried
> regular.  I know for a fact that our 250C absolutely requires
> premium.  When I got it I didn't know, but it pinged like
> a SOB, even on mid-grade.
>
>> The knock sensors in the 80's were not as sophisticated as
>> they are now.
>
> Perhaps not.  But the 560 SL doesn't have any knock sensor.
>
> -- Jim

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  94 E420, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 89 560SEL,
  89 260E, 87 300SDL, 86 560SL, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro,
  84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D,
  76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250, 66 220SEb