From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of LWB250
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:22 AM
To: Banned; Okie Benz
Subject: [MBZ] GPS Tracking Suggestions

I have a customer who is now requiring any supplier who charges travel time
and mileage to be able to provide GPS track data for each call to verify
mileage charges.

While this is a PITA, it's the way things are going, so I've got to deal
with it.

I have neither the need or budget for a full-blown vehicle tracking system,
so that's out of the question.  I was thinking more along the lines of a
mapping GPS, or even better, one of the smaller handheld devices (like the
Garmin eTrex Vista I have for backpacking.)  My Garmin records tracks
whenever it's on, and I use it on both my car and motorcycle to record my
travels.

I was thinking about getting some of the Garmin handhelds to be mounted on a
windshield mount for each truck, which can be easily removed and the data
downloaded to a PC for passing along to the customer.

I could justify a mapping GPS for each vehicle if necessary, but my
knowledge of these relative to their ability to track is limited.  I know
they can give you routes, but I'm not aware of any that actually record
vehicle movement.  My guys get detailed directions to each site, so it's not
really necessary for them to have a mapping GPS, either.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated....

Dan