[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The dash light for the glow plug in my 1980 SD blinks for 15-30 seconds after
the car starts.  I don't know when it started doing this, since the car is now
being driven by my son.  Does not seem to have any effect on the car, but I'm
wondering if it's some kind of code.  Anyone know?

Some models (mostly early "S" class diesels) blink after the engine has started to indicate a problem. Some models simply don't illuminate when the key is first turned on when there's a problem. Some do both. The light does NOT indicate bad plugs, but only that SOME problem exists. You must THEN diagnose what the problem is. Might be bad plug(s), bad fuse, loose connection(s), bad lamp or bad relay.

Mercedes published a dozen paged pamphlet outlining troubleshooting for models from early knob operated series systems thru the key operated series and parallel systems thru the '90s. The workshop manuals/CDs give you the specifics/diagrams for particular models.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)