It's when you shoot the messenger instead of the message, literally "to
the man."  You will notice a lot of this in political discourse when
someone on one side (the "hearer") disagrees with something one on
another side said (the "sayer"), and starts trashing the sayer as a
person, rather than presenting any sort of logical or rational argument
against what was said.  This usually happens when either 1) what was
said was correct and disagreed with strongly-held views and opinions of
the hearer, or 2) the hearer is stupid and can't argue rationally or
logically, or 3) all of the above.

I won't go into my opinions and anecdotal observations on who is more
"ad hominem" in their responses to things said.

--R