Randy wrote: "Unfortunately, my wife had a mishap with her car this weekend
that may well be the end of it. Unfortunate as it was a nice car. A 1998 Toyota
Avalon with only about 75K miles on it. . . . Sort of lost on what to buy as a
replacement however. Anyone with a crystal ball out there? Fuel mileage keeps
coming to the forefront on our thoughts. A Honda Civic maybe? Don't really like
small cars but most of her driving is very close to home so that might be
alright. Don't want to spend a fortune but she will not be happy with any sort
of a fixer upper so it has to be something relatively new.

If I were you, I would hope they total the car. The 1998 (in particular) Avalon
had a real problem with oil sludge building in the engine and causing major
damage. It is one of those cars that the 3,000 mile interval should be
meticulously observed.  (Just google Toyota Avalon and oil and I bet you get a
ton of hits and you can read about the problems).

Have you thought of the Chevy Impala.  It is about the same size as the Avalon.
They are really nice cars.  If you can get a 2002 or newer the 3800 engine is
awesome and by 2002 they had fixed the intake problem.  They get surprisingly
good mileage.  30 plus on the highway.  They are sporty and I think they are
good looking cars.

Donald H. Snook