Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:58:03 -0500
From: Donald Snook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] What would you buy now?
To: "Mercedes@okiebenz.com" <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Randy
wrote: "Unfortunately, my wife had a mishap with her car this weekend
that may well be the end of it. Unfortunate as it was a nice car. A
1998 Toyota Avalon with only about 75K miles on it. . . . Sort of lost
on what to buy as a replacement however. Anyone with a crystal ball out
there? Fuel mileage keeps coming to the forefront on our thoughts. A
Honda Civic maybe? Don't really like small cars but most of her driving
is very close to home so that might be alright. Don't want to spend a
fortune but she will not be happy with any sort of a fixer upper so it
has to be something relatively new.

If I were you, I would hope
they total the car. The 1998 (in particular) Avalon had a real problem
with oil sludge building in the engine and causing major damage. It is
one of those cars that the 3,000 mile interval should be meticulously
observed.  (Just google Toyota Avalon and oil and I bet you get a ton
of hits and you can read about the problems).

Have you thought
of the Chevy Impala.  It is about the same size as the Avalon. They are
really nice cars.  If you can get a 2002 or newer the 3800 engine is
awesome and by 2002 they had fixed the intake problem.  They get
surprisingly good mileage.  30 plus on the highway.  They are sporty
and I think they are good looking cars.

Donald H. Snook