I read the book and was pretty disappointed. I had high expectations
since I love adventure driving and W201s, but this was some of the
worst travel writing I've ever read. It reads as a brief list of
events covering too much time in too little detail to really be an
engaging story IMO. If you think you might like it, might I suggest
instead Road Fever by Tim Cahill. It doesn't have a Benz, but it's a
much cooler story, that is very well written.

He also comes across as somewhat ignorant when he suggests that the
poverty in Africa is due to the peoples inability to plan ahead. As an
example he cites a poor mechanic who takes a small monetary payment
over the offer of a much more valuable hydraulic jack, when he is
without one. His example ignores the fact that short term needs
(feeding your family) always need to come before long term needs
(higher quality tools), or else the benefits of the long term
investments are never enjoyed. His view also ignores the long history
of injustice and violence in the region that has helped form the
current economic situation of the people living there, as well as
other social political and environmental factors that are outside of
their control. Basically, he accuses them of being unable to pull
themselves up by their own bootstraps.

Sincerely,
Tyler William H Backman
1987 190D Turbo Biodiesel