You are absolutely correct.  When it is cold outside (i.e., winter,
usually) the air holds less moisture (humidity, water vapor) so when it
is heated up it is still dry.  I used a steamer kettle on my woodstove
in the winter, helped a lot.

I had a triple-dekka in Boston years ago, rented the top floor to a
black woman and her 2 daughters.  One cold winter day I went up there to
fix something, and it was about 90F and like a sweltering swamp in
there.  They had the heat cranked up, and a 5 gal pot on the stove
boiling like a witch's cauldron.  I made some comment about the ambient
conditions and she explained to me that black folks were more prone to
dry skin in the winter, so they kept it like that to avoid skin rashes
and such.  I had never heard that before.  It was actually hotter and
more humid than Boston summers, go figure.

--R