Ethelred (the Unready: 1982 380 SL) has got innumerable issues to deal
with, but one that's the most in-your-face irritating is the seatbelt
warning light that cycles with nearly every bump.  So I pulled the
warning module (next to the cruise control amplifier hanging from the
brake pedal support) and resoldered it.

I also retightened the ground cluster over by the fuse box.  That is
also part of the warning circuitry.

OK, this is weird.  I've wondered why opening the right-hand door
causes the warning buzzer to sound on this car, but not on our later
SL's nor on our now-sold 450 SL, and I can see from the car's
schematic that though they wired the two door switches separately to
the warning module they also tied the two switches together, negating
the diode that's in the warning module to isolate them!  Later SL's
have them separated.  I wonder...

I pulled the two door switches, and the wiring found there matched the
schematic, as did the wiring to the courtesy lights themselves.  (It's
always good to check.)  It looked like one of the two brown/blue wires
that comes off each switch is just a tie between the two switches, one
that isn't necessary and that was eliminated for the 1983 model.
Gambling, I cut one loose from the driver's switch and beat the odds!
It was the inter-switch tie and after that the warning module only
buzzed when the driver's door was opened yet the courtesy lights
functioned as they should.  I taped up the loose wire and put the car
back together.

-- Jim