Sort of OT question but maybe not, considering.  I took apart my
Yamaha component CD changer because it refused to open---just a
whining noise when you hit the open/close button.  It's the kind with
a carousel that slides out on runners like a kitchen drawer.

I thought a CD might be somehow jammed inside and keeping the drawer
from sliding out, but instead found that a tiny drive belt, running on
pulleys to connect a motor to the rack-and-pinion arrangement that
moves the drawer, was overstretched and slipping.  I'm ready to order
a replacement ($1.98 plus $8 shipping!), but I figured as long as I
have the unit open, I should lubricate the "runners" and the
rack-and-pinion setup.

So the question is what kind of lubricant to use for these parts?
There's some kind of white greasy stuff on there already, but I
supppose I should clean it off (I have some 100% isopropyl alcohol
already to clean the laser lens) and start over.  Generally the rule
is that grease manufactured from a synthetic base stock is safe for
plastics, right?

Can I just use ordinary FLAPS white lithium grease?  Is there
something special about the stuff sold specifically for electronics
applications that justifies the outrageous price for such a small
quantity?  (E.g., http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-1325)

Any other advice on this job from the electronics and audio gurus on
the list (Jim, Mitch, etc.)?

Thanks!
Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo, et al.