Larry , compression is down - around 18 bar all round and starting has
become more slightly more difficult. It did not achieve full 24 bar when
newly overhauled and I can only ascribe this to not optimal machining.
honing by engineering shop - perhaps this is the cause of the malay?? Oil
pressure is 2 bar at idle hot and it pegs at 3 immediately.  Was thinking -
what actually lubricates the bores? is it splash/leaks from the small end?
What is also unusual is that when I overhauled the engine all the rings
where carboned up onto the piston on all 5 pistons. I suspect the same might
be happening again. I was not however my driveing that contributed to this
as I had just bought the car when I overahuauled it. My other Om617's show
now sighn of similar problems - I also overhauled my 300GD ( a crack in head
that had been repaired by previous owner was starting to leak ) and thats
going well. Oil consumption is still low ( arround 0.2 l/ 1000 km )
PEter