Adchust der falfes   Sounds like lack of valve clearance.

At 08:44 AM 11/22/2008, you wrote:
Ever since I have that "NEW" engine put in my car, I noticed that it is hard
starting even in warm weather.
It has to crank quite a bit. Two or three pre-glows help. It fires
instantly, but does not stay running at first.
Lots of smoke for may be a minute. Than it clears out and runs smooth.
Starts quick when engine is warm.
Engine smokes some on hard acceleration.
All 5 glow plugs check good (0.6 Ohm). Fuel mileage is 22 - 24 MPG. 0-100
KPH < 20 sec.
No fuel leaks visible at the primer pump or anywhere else.
Blow-by is normal.
Would a diesel purge help?
--
Hans Neureiter, Houston, TX