maybe this explanation will help you grasp the concept: it's pretty clearly laid out here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7&;

you need to get the idea that the '65' is a measurement out of your head; it's a *ratio*, not a fixed measurement.
   per the Tire Rack site:
"The second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width."

in the old days when we were upsizing tires, the old rule-'o-thumb was that for approximately every 2 sizes up you'd go in width, you'd have to come *down* one size in Aspect Ratio to maintain a rollout that was the same as what you started with.

   'zat help?   ;-)

cheers!

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Your explanation seemed illogical so I looked for a second opinion. Seems
the jury is still out.

I am having a difficult time convincing myself that a 65 isn't a 65, no
matter how wide the tire is. Just because the tire is wider, it shouldn't
necessarily be taller.

[I sense the start of a new "oil" thread.]