Christopher McCann wrote:
Got the five pound slide hammer. OK, will persevere in wailing on it, but now
with more confidence!

Sometimes aluminum and steel corrode together in a nasty way.
One way to get a corroded aluminum seatpost out of a steel bicycle frame (remember when bicycle frames were made of steel?) is to turn it upside down and pour household ammonia into the frame member. It dissolves the white aluminum corrosion. I don't know if it can do damage to the good aluminum, so think of it as a last resort before removing the head, and I'd try hard to keep it out of the cylinder.

Mitch.