I doubt if they would post train crew openings on the web site. You apply to
the company, get accepted and then go to a school (not too long, if I
remember). This isn't the sort of job that the average individual has
experience doing, anyway. There is always turnover (retirements, etc.) so
they would have to have a pipeline of new hires going all the time.

Dispatcher is another nice job but forget where they are located.

What is the worst that can happen if you apply anyway?