It would probably be a good idea to back stuff up, but a reinstall of the OS should not screw up any of that stuff. Only issue would be if it is infected. You will have to reinstall all your various programs, make a list of them using

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html will give you a list of everything you can print out.

--R

Robert Rentfro wrote:
I have a Dell Inspiron1501 laptop that is loaded with crap from the kids
having used it for a year or so. I've removed the unwanted programs,
installed and used antivirus program, disabled junk running at startup and
made it to be able to see the home wireless.

It is still stupid slow. Plus, I've noticed that when it is starting up and
it's on the Dell screen there is a red bar at the bottom which I think I
remember someone saying once is bad.
So..is it time to break out the recovery disc? If I do (having never tried
this before) do I need to save all wanted photos and documents and iTune
crap?

Bob R.