Hello all

I had to replace the steering lock on my 1983 123.223. 230E gasoline engine
102.980 in 123 Chassis, which required removing the instrument cluster.

Now with everything back in, while driving, the gas gauge and temperature gauge
will occasionally jump up and then fall back and maybe jump up again or jump up
and down half a dozen times:  Gas goes from maybe the mark below full to full,
temperature goes from maybe 100C to 11OC.  Car is not overheating and that is
for sure.  Gas tank is not being topped up and then the top up removed, again
for sure.

It seems as it the incidents are becoming fewer and farther between.

Does anyone have a comment or something to share on this?  Why's it happening?
If I ignore it, is it likely to go away?  Is it evidence of something wrong
that I ought to correct?

Thanks for all your expertise; you have many more Mercedes miles than I.