Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:32:22 -0500
From: Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Fiat gets 35% stake in Chrysler
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Tom Hargrave wrote:

> Don't blame the 'big three' for their current crises - they were building
> what the American public wanted. And the numbers show this to be true.
> Before the run-up in gas prices, the 'big three' sold more cars in this
> country every year than all of the imports sold together.

I've believed for decades that I could be a successful Big 3 CEO by merely
approving design work on what was not selling at the time. The competition has
proven time and again how adept it as at producing the cars that would have
sold
like hotcakes two years ago. They were caught without anything reasonably
efficient for its size last year (GM got the Cobalt XFE on line reasonably
quickly, but it just served to prove how fuelish the regular Cobalt was all
along), and now it looks like all the new super efficient models will go
begging
unless there's another spike in fuel prices before they hit the market.

Mitch.