Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 00:05:30 -0600
From: Loren Faeth <lfa...@leadingchange.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: I hate computers
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

I know when we bought the beige G3 300 for #1 son to do digital
video, the digitizer card was $1000 and then there was an extra SCSI
card and big drive, etc.  We bought it set up from B&H, because that
way it WORKED out of the box.  I think it was close to $5000 for the
whole order.

A year later the G4 came with all the DV stuff out of the box for
$2500 or so.  BY then the EIDE drives were bumped up to 66 from 33,
so the SCSI was not necessary, just an extra drive.

When I worked for the Univ, in 97 or 98, the part I was working for
wanted to do digital video, and I said "buy a mac from B&H" but of
course they wouldn't, because it had to be a Winders machine.  So we
spec'd a Winders machine from  B&H, and sent it off to
"Purchasing"  A couple of weeks later we got several boxes from a
now-defunct big box store.  The "purchasing" brainchildren found they
could save $20 by ordering all the pieces, rather than the WORKING
computer from B&H!  And of course they didn't inform anyone of their
decision.  So we dutifully put the pieces together, and nothing
worked.  after hours (days, weeks) on the phone to the various mfgrs
and the big box store, they finally sent out a "tech" to show all us
idiots how to set it up.  Well, after 2 or 3 days, they could not
make it work either.  I think they ended up eating it.  I just stayed
away when I saw all the boxes arrive.  I did not want to get sucked
into that mess.  A month or two later, there was finally a working
computer, and i think after they sent back all the pieces, they
ordered the WORKING box from B&H.